Friday, January 9, 2015

How many talents do you have ?


 
Matthew Chapter 25:14-30
[George Lamsa Translation of the Aramaic Peshitta]


It is just like a man who went on a journey, who called his servants and put his wealth in their charge. 
To one he gave five talents, to one two, to another one; to each one according to his ability; and immediately he went on a journey. 
The one who received five talents then went and traded with them, and he earned five others. Likewise the second one, he gained by trading gained two others. 
But he who received one, went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord's money. 
After a long time, the lord of those servants returned, and took an accounting from them. 
Then the one who received five talents came up, and offered five others, and he said, My lord, you gave me five talents; behold, I have gained five others to them. 
His lord said to him, Well done, good and reliable servant; you have been faithful over a little, I will appoint you over much; enter into your master's joy. Then the one with the two talents came and he said, My lord, you gave me two talents, behold I have gained two others to them. 
His lord said to him, Well done, good and reliable servant, you have been faithful over a little, I will appoint you over much; enter into your master's joy. 
Then the one who received one talent also came up, and he said, My lord, I knew that you are a hard man, and you reap where you did not sow, and gather where you did not scatter. 
So I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground; here it is, it is your own one. 
His lord answered and said to him, O wicked and lazy servant, you knew me that I reap where I did not sow, and I gather where I did not scatter. 
You should then have put my money in the exchange, and when I returned I would have demanded my own with interest. 
Therefore take away the talent from him, and give it to the one who has ten talents. 
For to him who has, it shall he given, and it shall increase to him; but he who has not, even that which he has shall be taken away from him. 
And the idle servant they threw into the outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

As I awoke today this parable began crossing my thoughts ...

I have not often pondered on this parable. But today I began to contemplate it after I watched the morning news. The last part of the news was quite horrific. A man and woman were arrested for torturing their 3 year old son. They would duck tape this innocent, little boy to a chair to discipline him. Sometimes they would go so far as to tie him upside down from the ceiling and beat him with a belt. They had been caught and were to be arrested and thrown in jail.

I thought to myself, “What scathing evil I just can't stand this anymore. Enough is enough!”

 

It was then that I began to think about the parable of the talents. Like most members of the body of Christ I have been given at least one talent (gift).

I'm not a big preacher or miracle worker. I'm just an average person who goes to work every day, pays my bills, says my prayers, reads my Bible and engages in fellowship with other believers etc.

In other words, I'm one of those unseen members of the body of Christ.

However I do have something in me that is the greatest gift of all. I have the gift of life in Christ. The Father has put his seed within me and Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I have been blessed with the gift of faith, true love beyond understanding and a fearlessness in all that I do. 
In honesty, I can claim that I have no cares for yesterday or tomorrow. For today is today!

I am one with the Father and our Lord Jesus. His will is my will and that, to be succinct, is all that matters

One more trait that I have in common with our Father and Lord is the earnest desire that all should be saved. 

[ Well all of us should have the desire. ]

Luke Chapter 18:1-8

He also spake to them a parable, that they should pray always and not get weary. There was a judge in a city, who did not fear God, and had no regard for men. There was a widow in that city, and she used to come to him, saying, Avenge me of my accuser. And he would not for a long time; but afterwards he said within himself, Though I am not afraid of God, and have no regard for men; Yet because this widow troubles me, I will avenge her, so that she may not keep coming and annoy me. 

Then our Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge said. Would not God avenge his chosen ones much more, who call upon him day and night, though he has patience with them? I say to you, he will avenge them promptly. But when the Son of man comes, will he find faith on the earth?

Are you tired of all the evil and destruction that the enemy has wraught upon all flesh? Are you tired of all the people we know who have been so deeply apprehended by the enemy and are being destroyed by drug addiction? Do you know a person who is who is as yet unsaved? Do you know a person who is suicidal or in great despair? Do you see all the works of the enemy even in your own backyard, amongst your own family and friends?

I challenge you to start annoying your Father in Heaven.

Pick a person you know who needs to be delivered from the enemy. Present them to the Father at least once every day, twice if you remember. And do not ever give up until you see results.

You may see results in one minute, one hour, one day, one week, one month or one year.

Get the hint?
One day the father will avenge you. And it's His decision when.


They will be saved.
They will be healed.
They will become part of God's kingdom.
And all this transpires because you put your talent to work.

What? You don't think so ?

Luke11:9
I say to you also, Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you.

 
Over the years I try to keep up-to-date with a prayer list. I petition the Father as often as possible and when I can remember! I admit that I have not done this daily.

However, when I look back at this list I can say that almost all my requests have been faithfully answered. As time goes on I keep adding to the list as well as checking off the answered prayers. One day at a time, I am playing my role in expanding His Kingdom.

Now, the two people that committed the crime, I have mentioned earlier are not on my list. Nonetheless, I have prayed that I'll father would save them and deliver them from the evil one and that is enough.

When I pray for people on my list, I say each person's name and then ask for whatever that persons need might be. I wish I could have everyone on my list, but time does not permit me to do so. I have to trust that the Father hears this once and only prayer.

The whole point is this. Are you going to use at least the one talent that the Lord has given you?

Don't bury it you might lose even that which you have!

May our Father and Lord grant us the love and strength to bring our requests to Him daily until we see victory! 
Use your Talent.

First Thessalonians 5:24
Fateful is He was called you and He will keep his word.
Love,
Your brother Greg. 


2 comments: